Wednesday, November 05, 2008
The Andrea Effect
During this long presidential campaign, I kept hearing about The Bradley Effect, a theory that a lot of white people will tell pollsters they're voting for the black guy, but really won't. It's named after former Los Angeles Mayor Tom Bradley, who was ahead in all of the polls when he ran for California governor, but ended up losing.

There really wasn't a Bradley Effect in this election, at least not enough to cost Obama the election. There was, however, an Andrea Effect.

"What?" you may be asking. Andrea is a co-worker of mine, and she now has an 'effect' named after her.

A little background, if you'll indulge me: About a year ago, Andrea tells me how the U.S. government was behind the 9/11 attacks. I tell her she's a fucking loon and that's the last I hear about it. Fast forward several months, and suddenly Andrea tells me she's now a Republican. Why? She really likes Sarah Palin.

Okay, think about this for a minute. Because of Sarah Palin, a young woman who thinks the Republicans flew jets into the World Trade Center (which, of course, isn't true) suddenly supports the Republican candidates. Textbooks are written about that kind of insanity. I knew that, as soon as Andrea cast her lot with the GOP, they were doomed to fail.

Today Andrea was very angry about the election results. She believes, and it pains me to even type this, that Bill Ayers paid for Obama's Harvard Law education. Yes, you read that correctly. I've ignored her recent buffoonery, but I couldn't stay quiet this time.

"What are you talking about?" I asked her.

"Well, how else did someone with no money go to Harvard?" she caterwauled.

"Maybe...I don't know....he got a scholarship? You see, sometimes really smart people get scholarships. It keeps our graduate and professional schools from being filled with wealthy morons."

Jesus on a moped, why am I subjected to such ignorance?

The Andrea Effect is truly Sarah Palin's legacy. Yes, the hardcore Repub base loved Palin, but moderates hated her; and the only new women she brought to the party were folks like Andrea, anti-social internet marms who think believing well-written lies makes them intellectuals.

Wonder why McCain didn't have the "get out the vote" force that helped Bush win? Maybe it had something to do with that night at the Republican National Convention, when Mittens, Giuli9/11ani, and Sarah Palin blew hard-right ass water all over community organizers. A lot of those people so casually mocked that night are conservative Christians, people who in the past donated their time to help Republicans win elections. They didn't seem as driven this time. I wonder why?

I'm torn regarding Sarah. Part of me wants her to disappear forever, because she's a proudly ignorant, lying cunt. But another part of me wants her to become the face of the Republican party, insuring Democratic dominance for years to come. I'm conflicted.

Note: John McCain gave a very gracious, moving concession speech. In the immortal words of Red from The Shawshank Redemption, "The colossal prick even managed to sound magnanimous."


9 Comments:

Blogger Scarlet Hip said...

As an added note - Palin shit all over Obama's community organizer job as if he went right from there to the democratic nomination. In fact, it was a church-based organization that he worked for 20 years ago. During the time he was a community organizer, Palin was being crowned Miss Congeniality in the Miss Alaska contest, attended four different colleges, and then became a sports reporter for a local Alaskan network. Clearly all of these experiences prepared her for the VP candidacy.

I can see where your little friend would admire Sarah. After all, she was Miss Congeniality, and Obama was merely the first black president of the Harvard Law Review.

Blogger foundinidaho said...

I have to say, I thought the real John McCain (who I had a lot of respect for) came out last night. I believe he meant every word of what he said. He might be a little relieved he doesn't have to see Sarah Palin ever again.

Blogger yournamehere said...

In all fairness, that "colossal prick" line is one I use all the time. His speech was very effective.

Blogger Miss Melissa said...

I work with an Andrea. I see her this weekend. My friends have a pool going as to how long I'll last before I lap the floor yelling "Yes we did! Yes we did!" in her general direction.

Also, "hard right ass water" is so brilliant it brought tears to my eyes.

Blogger Ubermilf said...

I hope Sarah's gone for good. In her place, I hope we have two real professionals to choose between, such as the two real professionals who spoke on election night.

If we never have a Rovian election season again, it will be too soon. And if both sides state their plans eloquently and intelligently and respectfully, the idiots won't pay attention and won't vote.

Only people who carefully consider the issues and thoughtfully weigh the two plans presented before them.

Wouldn't that be nice?

Blogger Chris said...

(folk) who think believing well-written lies makes them intellectuals

Dude can I use that? Because it is a nicely turned capsule of sweet wordy truth...

Blogger Unknown said...

I hate to come on here and sound like a crazy person, but I actually agree with Andrea. I believe the government played a role in 9/11. If you have a couple hours to spare, you should watch this movie....
http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/
It's very interesting. Thanks for letting me read-I just love your blog

Blogger Ian McGibboney said...

The only way I think the Bush administration had any role in 9/11 was if they were aiming for the Statue of Liberty instead. They're THAT incompetent.

In all seriousness, though, the government's only role in 9/11 was the one they didn't play. The ignored memo did more damage than conspiracy theory could have. And yes, I've seen the "arguments" for it. They rely a lot of general ignorance of physics and common sense.

Blogger Johnny Yen said...

I agree with Ian.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer