Thursday, October 29, 2009
TV Shows I Watch
I have the TV on a lot while I'm home, but it's usually a live sporting event or a Jessica Alba movie with the sound turned off. When I do actually pay attention to a scripted show, it's usually one of these:

Mad Men
Don Draper is awesome, except for the whole "living a second life to escape his tragic white trash beginnings" thing. Oh, and the "cheating on his hot wife" thing is terrible, but it's the early 60s and he's handsome and successful; what did you expect?

Despite his flaws, I really admire the way he dismisses the toadies and fools at his office. He does it without swearing or even raising his voice. He sits at his desk smoking a cigarette and drinking a martini in the middle of the day and verbally eviscerates people who richly deserve it. In other words, he has the best job ever.

And Joan. That is all.

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
So many wrong but hilarious moments. Just watch this show. One of my favorite exchanges:

Frank (Danny Devito): I didn't go to Vietnam just to have pansies like you take my freedom away from me.

Dee: You went to Vietnam in 1993 to open up a sweatshop!

Frank: ...and a lot of good men died in that sweatshop!

Curb Your Enthusiasm
If Larry David and Jerry Seinfeld are the Lennon-McCartney of comedy, it's becoming pretty clear that Larry David is Lennon; minus getting shot in the face by a crazy guy, of course. I fully expect Seinfeld to descend further into mediocrity before marrying a one-legged gold digger.

30 Rock
A show loosely based on Saturday Night Live is funnier than SNL has been in years. Tracy Morgan is probably legitimately crazy, so they just let him be himself. Brilliant.

Big Love
It seems like forever since the last season of Big Love, but that's the way it goes over at HBO.

I've always gone against the belief that you have to have a likable character to enjoy a TV show or movie. There really isn't anyone to pull for on this show. Bill, the main character, is a manipulative hypocrite who uses his arcane religious "beliefs" so he can keep getting younger and younger wives. Really, that's what polygamy is all about. But the show is just fascinating. I can't stop watching it.

And that's about it. I still watch Family Guy, but you already knew that. And I watch The Office, but mainly the reruns on TBS. Everything else is just reality shows, scripted retardation, and Jay Fucking Leno.

So help me out here. Are there any other shows I should be watching? Please don't suggest sci-fi shows, reality TV, or Lost.


18 Comments:

Blogger Ubermilf said...

I enjoy crap so don't ask me.

Blogger kate sweeten said...

I am a big fan of VH1 crap reality shows, so I'll skip suggesting any of those...try "Modern Family" on ABC. It's actually pretty funny.

Blogger Scarlet Hip said...

Donnez-moi pancakes!

Blogger DawnD said...

Try "Breaking Bad" on AMC. The new season doesnt' start for awhile, like maybe March but the DVD's are out there.

Modern Family on ABC.

Blogger beaker90 said...

My favorite new shows are The Middle and Glee. I've only seen Modern Family once this season, but it was hilarious, but it's on at the same time as Glee, so I don't normally get to watch it except for time like now because they're showing baseball on Fox. Have you watched the Cleveland Show yet? It's pretty funny.

Blogger Unknown said...

Friday Night Lights. Channel 98. Look Around You. Weeds - Seasons 1,2,4. Kings. Deadwood (RIP). Carnivale. Upcoming UK Basketball season. oh, and LOST

Million Dollar Listing. If you have ever wanted to see a show that will piss you off beyond belief, then watch this show. Underserving Uberdouchebags sell $15 Million homes and make $450K commissions like it's no big deal. I'm a capitalist, and normally wouldn't care, but they are the douchiest people I have EVER seen. EVER. Seriously, EVER.

Blogger ThatGirl said...

I watch Futurama on DVD. TV makes me sad these days. I like Glee though.

Blogger ThatGirl said...

Vast, i just saw a commercial for Million Dollar listing. Are they even over 21? They look like 19yr old douchebags Which would piss off my sorry broke ass even more :(

Blogger Jen said...

dexter
three sheets
ace of cakes

That's what pisses me off even more Tracy. These little 20 year old douches get their parents and grandparents' ultra rich friends to list their homes with them, then they promptly collect 100's of thousands for doing nothing. It will make your blood boil if you watch.

Blogger Hey Jo said...

I'm liking CougarTown with Courtney Cox. Funny and snarky.

Sex Rehab with Dr. Drew starts tomorrow on VH1. That could prove to be a train wreck worth watching.

Blogger foundinidaho said...

Craig Ferguson. He Rocks.

Dexter

Blogger onewaybanter said...

True Blood and Bored to Death.

word.

Blogger crued said...

Long time watcher...first time poster-

i enjoy all the previous suggestions...modern family is really good. parks and recreation is another show i like starring Amy Poehler> shes Funny

if you get premium cable channels,or know how to do stuff...check out Weeds.
but what i wanted to suggest to you is "californication"on showtime. from reading your post's,you would love this show. The lead character is funny and smarmy as you are,but the twists and turns thru it are cool as shit. plus it has a killer soundtrack. i found it late in season 3,but go back and get the first 2 seasons,you wont be dissapointed

Blogger crued said...

Wanna leave 2 killer suggestions 2.

DawnD- with breaking bad

and J-with 3 sheets

both great shows

in case you didnt know,three sheets is a show that takes Dane around the world to partake in thier drinking rituals. its funny and informative.

for a shortcut..google hulu..then mojo

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer