Friday, August 01, 2008
They're raping my semi-recent past!

Having once lived in the Las Vegas Valley for over three years, I can say with certainty that Clark County, Nevada has a lot of damn Starbucks, probably too many; so it came as no surprise when they announced that 17 of the 600 stores scheduled to be closed were from the Las Vegas/Henderson/North Las Vegas area.

One of those doomed stores, however, was very near and dear to me during the last sixteen months I lived there. Pictured is the Starbucks at Eastern Avenue and Serene in southeast Las Vegas. It's located in the same shopping center as one of my vendor-assigned Home Depots, and was the Starbucks mentioned in this post; as well as this post; and this one; and this one. However, this incident occurred at the Starbucks on the corner of Russell and Pecos, and this happened after I moved back at a Starbucks in the pretentiously named Mall St. Matthews.

Despite a few documented problems with some of their customers, I really liked the Starbucks at Eastern and Serene. I was there every morning three days a week, and the employees were always friendly (although not as eerily efficient as the robo-baristas at the Pecos location, where your order would be ready, pipping hot, before you got your change back). They even gave me free bags of coffee as a Christmas gift.

I hope the employees who want to stay with the company are offered jobs at other locations. There are three other Starbucks within a mile of this store, so they probably won't have to do a lot of traveling.

There's really no purpose for this post. I just wanted to link to a few stories that received a lot of comments, just as a reminder.


8 Comments:

I know, those bastards are closing the Starbucks closest to my house! I started to get mad about it but then realized there is another one about a block away. You're right, there are a LOT of Starbucks locations here in Vegas....

Blogger Ubermilf said...

Ahhh, nothing like a day in the white-hot sun to make you crave a steaming cup of coffee...

Blogger foundinidaho said...

I THOUGHT they were closing the all but brand new one near my house (and in southern Salt Lake County, there aren't tons as you might imagine), but it turns out it's the one further away. I heaved a sigh of relief.

Loves me some Starbucks, I do.

That's why I go for the iced variety Ubermilf.

Blogger Ubermilf said...

That's true, VRWC. And I bet they make even MORE profit off of those than the hot coffee.

Maybe they'll open a Caribou near you.

I'm sure they do, but Profit isn't a bad thing. I used to go to a Caribou occasionally when I lived in Columbus, OH. Good stuff.

Blogger Ubermilf said...

Geez, I'm not THAT liberal, VRWC! I thought your frequent and loyal purchase of those drinks would help convince Starbucks to keep your store open, since it was making money.

Maybe if you walked around in front of it wearing a sandwich board that reads, "I'm rich and I drink coffee" someone will notice.

Uh, yeah, that makes sense....

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer