Monday, August 15, 2005
"I'm spinning out, I can't control my car..."
Friday night I was on my way home from the Strip when my passenger side front tire blew out while I was in the middle of negotiating a curve. The shredded tire promptly ended the negotiations, causing me to lose control of the rolling deathtrap I drive daily amongst a who's who of the worst drivers on earth (including myself) and go over a curb into a rocky ravine kinda thing, stopping only when I hit a chain-link fence. If I had lost the tire two seconds before or after, I would have hit a brick wall and right now I'd be blogging about all of my suffering in Hell. Yeah, so I started the weekend by almost dying because I can't afford a decent car. And now the car I have is all fucked up and I don't think I can afford to get it fixed. Since I'd have to walk about six miles just to get to a bus stop, this has ruined the last few days for me.

I wish I could wax philosophic about the effects my brush with death had on my outlook on life, how I've learned to appreciate the little things in life, but I guess because I didn't suffer even the slightest injury I'm just amazed at how lucky I was. Really, even though I had no clue the tire was going to go, it was just a matter of time before it did. I could have plowed into pedestrians or oncoming traffic had it happened at another time on another road.

I'll post again when I can. I wanted this one to be funny but no funny came out of me. Luckily I had my fiction story written in a notebook and all I had to do was type it onto my blog. Hopefully by tomorrow I'll be able to write something else.

A special prize to whomever can tell me the source of the quote that serves as this post's title.


14 Comments:

Blogger MsHellion said...

veruca

Wow, I am so glad you weren't hurt and am so sorry about your vehicle. First round of margies on me to ease the pain.

And yeah the quote is Veruca Salt - American Thighs.

Blogger Heather said...

Todd, so glad you're okay! Sounds like someone was watching over you.

Blogger egan said...

Todd, this is rotten luck. Sorry to hear about this man. I'm glad you pulled out of it unscathed physically. Sounds like it may have rattled you cages a bit mentally, but keep in mind it's just a car.

Now my post about a varicose vein seems rather insignificant.

Blogger Unknown said...

Speed Racer?

Todd, my brother, the paypal idea is valid. My favorite Bad News Blonde put up a wish list on Amazon and anyone who buys her stuff can request a sexy pic with said item.

If she can do it, you can do it.

Blogger Cincysundevil said...

Glad to hear you're okay.

Blogger Scarlet Hip said...

Just glad you are safe and well. You don't think this was a government plot after your Bush twin blog, do you?

Blogger Belle said...

Driving here is very scary; cars and pedestrians coming from all directions. It's amazing that you didn't hit anybody.

Glad to hear you're okay.

Blogger yournamehere said...

I would like to thank all for their kind words.

Yes, Mshellion, Rachel, and Melliferous Pants(in her email) all got the question right. Since mshellion was first, she wins the prize and since she's a friend of mine from Louisville, I don't have to pay up. Hooray.

I have "American Thighs" in my CD alarm clock and "I'm spinning out, I can't control my car..." are the first words I hear every morning. Helps set the mood for the rest of the day.

Blogger Narrator said...

I'm glad you didn't die, Todd.

What're you gonna do about the car situation? How will you get to work?

Blogger yournamehere said...

I'm glad to say although it still has "issues" which include no power steering, thanks to two new tires and rims from a junkyard over in Dirty Henderson I can drive my car. I will only drive it to and from work and for errands such as grocery, etc. I am staying off of all highways and interstates until I get power steering back and have a front-end alignment. I'm not sure what a front-end alignment is, but I've been told the car needs this.

Blogger HeavensLilDevyl said...

I'm SO glad you're okay sweets. You should think about what livia said....above... couldnt hurt right? Again - glad you're okay. Hugs...L

Blogger Blonde said...

I am so glad that you are ok. I don't know how I would survive without my daily dose of your blog!

Be grateful that you didn't hurt anyone including yourself :).

Blogger Nick said...

I think it's pretty amazing all the "I'll send you money" posts. You could just be making this up. It gives me a naughty idea but guilt will stop me from following through. "In MY day, we walked 6 TEEN miles in the driving snow, through dense forests filled with bears and snakes to work. AND WE LIKED IT!" :-D

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer