Wednesday, November 23, 2005
A recipe for a big fat Thanksgiving
This pie is a fattening motherfucker, but Thanksgiving is a special occasion. It is also so delicious anyone who makes it will no doubt begin worshipping me as their god.

Legally Forbidden to Call it "Derby" Pie

Ingredients:

1/4-cup corn starch
1/2-cup (one stick) butter, melted
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup walnuts (soaked overnight in bourbon if so desired)
4 tablespoons bourbon

Mix corn starch and sugar
In another bowl, mix eggs and melted butter (slowly, or they will separate)
Slowly add starch/sugar mixture to egg/butter mixture
Fold in chocolate chips and walnuts
I use the Pilsbury roll and bake pie crusts. If you want homemade crust, find a recipe.
Fill pie crust and bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 35-40 minutes or until top is golden brown. Before you put in oven, cover crust edges with foil or they will get too brown.
Variations:
If you hate bourbon, omit and replace with vanilla extract to taste.
You can use pecans instead of walnuts. I think pecans have too strong a taste and overwhelm the other flavors, but that's just how I roll.

Everyone have a safe and happy Thanksgiving Day. To my Canadian friends, may Thursday bring you nothing but joy and hearken back to Thursdays of times past.

And since I'm a shameless comment whore, if you haven't read the previous post yet, by all means do so.


19 Comments:

Thank you honey. I probably won't get around to this for Thanksgiving but definitely for Christmas.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving hon and if you get bored send me a message.

Lovin' you!

Blogger onewaybanter said...

yay Canada! Thanks, and happy Thanksgiving to you all...p.s. that recipe is officially making me tingle in all kinds of places I never knew could tingle...

Blogger WunEyedDog said...

Would it be inappropriate to tell you that I love you Todd?

Here's to a couple more pounds this month.

Blogger Fella said...

Anyone who hates bourbon is a communist.

Blogger Crystal said...

Thanks for the recipe! Sounds yummy~~

Blogger Scarlet Hip said...

Oh see, we should have all posted our recipes. I will have to post my recipe for Sticky Toffee Pudding. It's so good you would eat it off a five dollar hooker.

Blogger yournamehere said...

rachel,
I make them for Christmas, too. And Super Bowl.

I'll email you later.

claudia,
I have that effect on the ladies. No, no I don't. *hangs head in shame*

wuneye,
it's shockingly inappropriate. "Don't ask, don't tell." Actually, everyone loves me for my Derby pie.

nick,
or an assface.

crystal,
you should try it out.

brooke,
regarding your post, I would always go out on Thanksgiving Eve and have a massive hangover the next day. Not anymore. Gotta rest up for the big day.

Blogger Scarlet Hip said...

Todd, as I said on my post, we commented on each other's blogs at the exact same time. Was it good for you?

Blogger yournamehere said...

brooke,
it was great for me, but be honest: You faked it, didn't you?

Blogger tango jellybean said...

I also love you for your Mint Juleps. You have pretty much made your way into my heart by plying me with bourbon. I hope you have a good thanksgiving! Can't wait for the Bambi walk in December....

Blogger yournamehere said...

amie,
I was talking to my mom on the phone and she casually mentioned she was cleaning out a junk drawer and found a Mint Julep recipe. In other words, the Mint Julep recipe I've been looking for for three damn years! I told her not to throw it away.

Blogger Scarlet Hip said...

Todd - never ask a question that you don't really want the answer to. Sage advice from the Brookester.

Blogger yournamehere said...

brooke,
I'm a glutton for punishment.

Blogger Ubermilf said...

I am going to my mother-in-law's for Thanksgiving.

too bad you aren't, too, because she's a terrible cook and you'd stay on your diet.

Of course, you and I could head off to Steak and Shake...

No, I'd make you be good.

Blogger yournamehere said...

Ubie,
I went back to Louisville in early August and went to Steak and Shake on the way from the airport to my mom's house.

You should make this pie sometimes. It's tasty.

Blogger yournamehere said...

shaken,
I made two of them this evening. I had to resist the urge to cut into one of them. BEST PIE EVER.

Blogger WunEyedDog said...

If I wasn't moving this weekend and my whole F*cking house wasn't packed I'd make that as soon as I got home in the morning. I'll probably try to make it this weekend if we're unpacked enough.

Blogger SS said...

Happy Thanksgiving!

Blogger Fella said...

assface communists.

I'm going to make this pie and then I'm going to send you the pictures of my exploded carcass when I devour the wholr thing.

Unless I die from the explosion.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer