Tuesday, July 18, 2006
Take me out to the ballgame...


Last night I went to Louisville Slugger Field to see a Triple-A baseball game between our Louisville Bats and those douchebag Bisons from Buffalo.

I love minor league baseball. It's cheap (actually, our tickets were free), the concession food is good, the beer is cold, and Slugger Field has been touted as the best minor league ballpark in the country.

There wasn't a capacity crowd at the ol' stadium last night, mainly because of the ungodly weather, described by more than one local as "Hotter than horse pussy." The night was so thick with humidity (also known as 'air that you wear') that Barry Bonds fresh off a three day steroid binge couldn't have hit a home run.

And yet, despite the humidity and temperatures in the nineties even after the sun went down, I was never terribly uncomfortable. I think not getting the air conditioning fixed in my Vegas automobile was a wise decision, because riding around in a rolling oven for the last month and a half before I moved has given me heat immunity.

I was sitting in my seat along the third base line, having a beer and a brat, and the weather didn't bother me. I was sweating, because that's what humidity makes us do, but it sure beat sitting in traffic with no a/c. I'm sure by next summer my immunity will have faded, and I'll once again never venture outside during July and August; but for now I'm going to take advantage of my tolerance. After all, Thursday is $1 beer night at the park.



12 Comments:

Blogger moi said...

Sounds like someones rather enjoying being back home!!
*smooches*

Blogger katarina said...

I haven't been to a ball game in years. I used to love that.
I never use my air in the car. Gas is too damn expensive.

Blogger sonrisa morena said...

good to hear you had a enjoyed the ball game!!!

Blogger sonrisa morena said...

just re-read my comment...meant to say "good to hear you enjoyed the ball game"...the weather in chicago is melting my brain!!!

Blogger Scarlet Hip said...

After living in Florida for six years, I can only laugh at people when they complain about the heat. You want heat? I'll give you heat!

Blogger egan said...

Aww, good old minor league baseball. I haven't been to a minor league game since Ken Griffey Jr. played in the rookie league. Wow, that's a long time ago. You've inspired me YNH.

Blogger Ubermilf said...

Since Chicago has become a tropical rain forest, I can only imagine what it's like down there!

Also, our minor league franchise owners also go all-out with crazy gimmicks and games and contests and stuff. It's a lot more fun than the pro games.

Forecast in East Texas for today: sunny and 106. Sweet! Think I'll go for a long jog about 4 pm in jeans and a sweatshirt. Heat stroke is for pussies.

I remember when I lived in Louisville going to see the Louisville Redbirds minor league baseball team play. I think we set an attendance record in 1982 or 1983 that still stands today. Christ, Todd, we're old dudes now.

Blogger flounder said...

98 degrees here in CT, and the only baseball I'll be watching is the Sox game on NESN in my air conditioned living room.

I admire your resilience, though.

Blogger Unknown said...

I remember when we moved back from Europe where there was no air conditioning we would freeze in every house or building we went into.

That's over, of course. I live in A/C, skittering between car and building like an insect on hot sand.

Blogger Cold Hands said...

I love going to minor league games. We have the Fort Worth cats at Cats Staduim. The restrooms there are called the litter box. Does it get any better than that? Well I suppose better would be free blow jobs by Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders in the bathroom......

Blogger Phain said...

mmmmmmmmm beer and brats....save me a seat next time will ya? ;)

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer