Tuesday, September 22, 2009
At times I'm reassuring...
The other day at work a nice old lady (See, I don't hate all old people!) approached me and said, "I have a rather dumb question to ask."

I emotionally braced myself for yet another soul-crushingly stupid inquiry, but her question - while certainly not brilliant - was so far from dumb that three days later I can't even remember what she asked. I assured her that the question was perfectly acceptable, gave her an answer, and she went on her way to buy old people stuff.

A few minutes later she was at the checkout loudly apologizing for her "dumb" question. I walked up to her and said, "Ma'am, let me put this in perspective. The name of this store includes the word 'liquor' but I have been asked on more than one occasion if we sell liquor here. Your question was not dumb."

"Goodness, 'Do you sell liquor here?' That IS a dumb question," she said as she left.

After experiencing momentary happiness for using an example of typical moronic behavior to make an old woman feel better about herself, I quickly went back to wishing I had learned a trade.


6 Comments:

Blogger Lsamsa said...

Well, despite feeling badly about not learning a trade...you made a huge impact that day...if only to one 'little old lady'...good on you.

Blogger EdenSky said...

"Excuse me, is this rug the same colour as the one I bought last week?" Seriously. How the fuck would I know, Woman? People with good questions are refreshing.

Blogger Wings1295 said...

Sometimes dude I have the same regret. Wish I had learned something useful.

Blogger Ubermilf said...

Dumb people don't know they're dumb. From my experience, they consider themselves geniuses.

Blogger foundinidaho said...

What Ms. Milf said.

Also, the fact that you are a nice guy shines through whether you like it or not.

Blogger Lushy said...

Seriously? I think you have developed a trade. We all know you are more talented than the majority of published writers. Write a book already.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer