Monday, October 08, 2007
Rest in Peace
It really sucks when a good person dies. I know good people die every day, but that doesn't make it any less depressing.

I never read the obituaries, but last night I was fumbling through the Sunday paper and a name and picture jumped out at me. Someone I met in college had died after a battle with cancer.

I'm not going to mention his name. In this age of google searches I don't want his loved ones to find his name associated with the more unsavory aspects of this blog, just out of respect.

When I met him at the University of Louisville, his nephew was one of my classmates. He was about fifteen years older than us, back in school to get his degree. He'd sit with us in the student center and drink coffee. He was funny as hell and would always listen to our angsty bullshit without being too judgmental.

Years later, he was employed as a sales rep for a local liquor distributor, so I'd frequently see him at the store. He always had a smile on his face and a kind word for me; and he still appreciated a good joke.

It had been at least a few months since the last time I saw him at work. It's not like he was a close friend, but damn if he wasn't one of the good guys. There are far too few good guys, and now there's one less.

And if I'm saddened, imagine how his friends and family feel. My deepest sympathies go out to them.


footer