Wednesday, August 20, 2008
My Saturday Evening Jacket
This past Saturday evening I was one of ten thousand people who showed up at Waterfront Park to hear Louisville's own My Morning Jacket play one of those rock music concerts the kids are always talking about.

The weather was A MIRACLE. Not too hot, almost zero humidity, and a nice breeze once the sun went down. This never ever happens in mid-August around here. In fact, when I bought my ticket over a month ago I resigned myself to a miserably schweaty night. And not only did the weather cooperate, they served good, locally brewed beer at the concert! The vendor for the good beer was right by the stage. If you wanted to line the pockets of the swill merchants from Miller, you had to walk up the hill to the pavilion and wait in line with the other supporters of monolithic mediocrity.

The band played for well over three hours, but I brought along the ubiquitous collapsible chair so I could sit my old ass down every once in a while. Is it now a law that everyone has to own one of those chairs? If so, it's a law I can get behind. Those chairs kick ass. And there's a place to put your beer.

I wonder if the guy who invented the collapsible chair is wealthy beyond all comprehension or if he was under contract with some company when he came up with the idea and all he got was a pat on the back and enrollment in the Jelly of the Month Club (It's the gift that keeps giving the whole year 'round).

My Morning Jacket received a lot of national exposure when they appeared on Saturday Night Live earlier this year, but I know most of my readership is way too cool to watch SNL (Translation: In bed by eleven), so I'll give you a video clip.

The band ended the set with a song called One Big Holiday. I can't find any decent footage of Saturday's performance, so this is when they played the song on Conan O'Brien's show back in 2003.



The singer looks a lot less like Cousin It now.


8 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

Well, hell, I wish they'd have put up a sign you could see over 10,000 heads, because the only beer I saw was the long-ass lines for some mediocre "summer wheat" from Blue Moon.

Blogger Scarlet Hip said...

The 70s called, they want their hair back.

Blogger TubbyAZ said...

First time I saw Jim James he was playing with Bright Eyes on Austin City Limits. Went right out and bought their current disc at the time- very haunting sound, I swear they must have recorded it in a grain silo.

Bright Eyes, now there's another study in hair. Went to see him a couple years ago, and it was so hilarious to see all sorts of maladjusted youth sporting the same tonsorial nightmare.

Blogger yournamehere said...

erin,
well, I didn't think you'd be a swill drinker if you thought there were other options.

scarlet,
and 1987 wants their joke back.

tubbyaz,
I think they did record it in a grain silo.

Blogger Ubermilf said...

Today called.

It wondered why nobody loves it anymore.

Blogger CSuave said...

BTW, anyone seen Amy lately?
We miss her too!

Hey bro, don't ubiquitous collapsible chairs have like a 100lb weight limit? The last time I sat in one it snapped like a dry twig.

Blogger yournamehere said...

ubie,
Today is an unrepentant whore.

csuave,
oh, the advice column? It seems to have been abandoned.

vast,
I spent a few extra bucks and got the extra-sturdy model. I'm not saying I could use it every single day, but a few times a year shouldn't be a problem.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer