Sunday, November 30, 2008
Hooray beer!
Despite my workplace trying to do the ol' squat and plop on my usually cheery demeanor, I had a fairly above average Thanksgiving weekend. On Wednesday night, after dealing with every alcoholic in the city, I went to see local semi-legends Wax Fang play some of that rock and/or roll the kids are so crazy about. Since Thanksgiving Eve is the Black Friday of drunken revelry, the place was jammed with enough people to hare-lip the fire marshall.

Wax Fang was great as usual, but we first had to endure not one but two crappy opening acts. The first band sounded like the Replacements, if the Replacements had been fronted by your marginally talented cousin.

The second band? Blueshammer. I don't remember their real name, because we just kept calling them Blueshammer. Whatever the name, the way those honkies bastardized "authentic, way down in the Delta blues" made my sack itch.

I ran into my old friends Ben and Amie at the show. Amie used to blog under the name Tango Jellybean (I'd link to the blog, but she deleted it), so one of you may remember her. She's pregnant, so I cruelly taunted her with my delicious bourbon drink. I'm hoping they move back to town soon so I can taunt her a second time.

Thursday I celebrated Thanksgiving with my mom, aunt, and two cousins. My aunt may well be the best cook ever, so I ate my weight in fixins. Yeah, turkey is fine and all, but it's all about the fixins. If you don't believe me, just ask your local fattie.

I got to watch the horribly mismatched football games on my aunt's HD tv. Damn my antiquated square television! I might as well be playing Benny Goodman 78s on a Victrola.

Reality insert: You can tell I'm American, huh? "Oh woe is me and my 32-inch non-HD television." Now back to the regularly scheduled blog post.

I started my Saturday night by righting a horrible wrong. My friend Dwight had never seen Unforgiven, so I took the DVD over to his place and we watched it. He thought it was a great movie, so he is still allowed to be my friend. After that, we went to Nachbar, a local place with an amazing beer selection, to see Johnny Berry and the Outliers and drink Rogue Double Dead Guy Ale on tap. Double Dead Guy is to beer what Jules Winnfield is to Bad Mother Fuckers. Need I say more?

With Johnny Berry playing old school country music to a packed crowd of drunks, it was like the deep South with only 3/5ths the racism! I submitted "Louisville: Like the Deep South With Only 3/5ths the Racism" in a contest to choose our city's new slogan, but those pansy-ass fucks at the Chamber of Commerce rejected it.


7 Comments:

Blogger Matt said...

Rogue Beer - Made in Newport Oregon, just a short drive over to the coast from where I'm at. Good stuff. Sometimes I forget how good things can be here in Oregon (and Colorado before that).

...Then I think about my time in Indiana. ...mmmm MGD.

MF

Blogger Ubermilf said...

I didn't know Jules had a last name. I've learned something today.

Blogger Burfica said...

This year is was all about the candied yams at my house. I usually make a single batch, cuz nobody will eat them but me. Well our guest this year, loved loves is in love with candied yams, and ate every last stinking bit. hahahahaha

Since my wife is 8 and 1/2 months pregnant, we went out to eat at a place called Texas De Brazil. This place is phenomenal. If you you have one in your area, I highly recommend it. Even if you aren't a meat eater, they have the most spectacular salad bar I have ever seen. They also have a cool website www.texasdebrazil.com

Blogger Debra said...

dude, i saw unforgiven in the theater, how's that for dating myself, grins, debra

Blogger Scarlet Hip said...

I'm sure this was a great post. I never got past "my usually cheery demeanor."

Blogger tango jellybean said...

Todd also likes to eat caviar in front of starving people and say "Doesn't this look delicious?". He has no shame. Picking on the pregnant, the starving, what's next? Can't wait till we move back home and you have to SHARE your bourbon with me!

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer