Friday, November 28, 2008
Merry Fucking Christmas
Well, it's come to this: a worker at a Wal-Mart in New York was trampled to death by holiday shoppers. TRAMPLED. TO. DEATH. All so a pack of animals could get their soulless mitts on some cheap sweatshop-assembled shit with which to clutter up the garage and/or further spoil their worthless children. My feelings about the people who did this were succinctly summed up by my friend Alisha.

It's time to tone down this "Black Friday" bullshit. It used to be that anyone who even thought of standing in line all night waiting for a junky discount hut to open its doors would have been considered a fucking loon and rightly shunned by polite society. But now the retail stores, with the full support of the media, have made this odd behavior seem normal. I never bought into it. "So, if I sleep in on a cold November morning I might have to eventually pay five dollars more for some hunk of plastic? I can live with that."

I can't imagine stepping on another human being to get inside a Wal-Mart. It sickens me that this is where we are as a society; so traumatized by an economic downturn that human life is considered beneath securing a "bargain". God help us all if this country ever has to endure genuine hardship.


10 Comments:

Blogger Lea said...

I am in a different state than where I live. I waited an hour to get into Kohls and everyone was polite and respectful. Last year I waited 2 hours in line at WalMart, in Vegas and when the doors opened the crowd began to push and shove and others who had just arrived started "cutting" in line... Not sure if the nastiness is because of being in Vegas or if it's just a WalMart thing...I tend to think it may be both.

Amen bro. I read about this today and it made me sick to my stomach. That guy was 34 years old. Alisha summed it up perfectly. Repeated prison rape for the rest of their lives is the least we can give those pieces of filth.

Blogger Heather said...

I've never done Black Friday and I never will.
I'm not sure which is more horrific. The act of the trampling or the fact that after the death was discovered and police were shutting down the store, people were "outraged" at the fact that they stood in line ALL NIGHT and had to leave AND continued to shop.
Yeah, that's what Christmas is all about...
Sickening.

Blogger Johnny Yen said...

I started my Christmas shopping in August, swooping up bargains on the net and in stores. I can't imagine anything I'd like less to do on a day off than wait in line and fight a crowd.

A friend of ours actually saw two women in a fistfight over the last bargain lcd tv in a store last year. Merry Christmas.

Blogger Debra said...

i refuse to argue over potential ownership of any article; if ya want it that badly, then you can have it. not worth the hassle and most certainly not worth my compromising my digits, let alone my life.

Blogger Ubermilf said...

"Other workers were trampled as they tried to rescue the man, and customers stepped over him and became irate when officials said the store was closing because of the death, police and witnesses said."

"Items on sale at the Valley Stream Wal-Mart included a Samsung 50-inch Plasma HDTV for $798, a Bissel Compact Upright Vacuum for $28, a Samsung 10.2 megapixel digital camera for $69 and DVDs such as "The Incredible Hulk" for $9."

Yeah, that's totally worth trampling some poor guy to death.

Blogger Dale said...

Just sickening in every way possible. I hate people so much when this shit happens.

Blogger foundinidaho said...

What everyone else said. I've never elbowed someone or stomped on someone to get a material possession. And I never will. Somebody trying to hurt my kids - another story, of course.

Blogger Scarlet Hip said...

Don't get me started...

Blogger Jenster said...

All that for cheap-ass crap at a cheap-ass store.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer