Friday, February 24, 2006
Exhibit A:


Sure, I could say that ads also make men look stupid, but why take my word for it when you can see it for yourself?

Chrysler is having a contest in which you, a member of the North American buying public, can appear in an ad with "The Hemi Guy".

For those unfamiliar with this character, he appears in Dodge car commercials and about shits his pants whenever he sees a Dodge car or truck with a "Hemi" engine, whatever the fuck that is.

I hereby declare The Hemi Guy to be a negative male image. Imagine young impressionable boys thinking this is what they should aspire to be. What if women see this commercial and think all men are more interested in cars than sex or personal hygiene? What if male teenagers start wearing their hair unkempt and filthy, and wear sleeveless shirts when they don't have the physique for it? Damn, some of them already do that. It may be too late.

Also, Happy Birthday, Pants!!! No, not the garment; the blogger. My blog friend Melliferous Pants is having a birthday. If you haven't already, stop by her site and wish her birthday tidings. Oh, just do it...she has chronic back pain, you selfish bastard. Her link is posted to your left.



14 Comments:

Blogger egan said...

Love it Todd. Don't make me up the font size on my tribute to Pants.

Those Dodge ads are ridiculous. I love their slogan, "Grab life by the horns". So freaking alpha male.

Blogger Cherry! said...

Todd, I thought Australia was the only country that produced this type of blokey BS. I think the guy is soooo hot. So hot in fact, I want to grab him by the horn....

Oh yeah, and he looks as dumb as dog shit.

Blogger Knitty Kitty said...

When TFG read that he went off on his "men are always depicted as inept at any household task, like cleaning the frickin toilet" rant.

thanks for being so entertaining we don't need cable.

Wikipedia can explain a hemispherical engine better than I ever could. I just know that when I was a kid, that was the engine that you wanted in a Barracuda or Dodge Challenger and that it could beat just about anything else on the road, if the driver was decent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemi_engine

And you're right, virtually every beer ad portrays men as total tools.


My least favorite of all time was the sleep aid ad...

INT. BEDROOM -- NIGHT

MAN and WOMAN lie next to each other in bed. The Man has insomnia and shakes wife.

Man: Honey...honey?...honey, are you up? Honey, are you up?

Woman: I'm up now.


She should've slapped his unconscious, then he would have gotten some sleep.

Blogger moi said...

Todds... I'm of the same mindset as cherry I honestly thought that was an Aussie ad... although thankfully I don't feel the urge to grab him by anything what-so-ever.

*shudder*

Blogger Cherry! said...

HAHAHA! The more I look at that stupid twerp the more hilarious he gets.

I know, I have nothing better to do than read blogs over and over again.

Blogger onewaybanter said...

Like I said, the media can very easily develop certain gender/power ideologies (no matter what the gender we are talking about)through the characterization of PEOPLE to sell PRODUCTS.

UUUUUGHhhh.

Great posts :) Way to make me happy and sad at the same time. Again, an emotional rollercoaster.

a-thank you

Blogger Maddie said...

I just woke up and I think I'm still drunk. Thank you for the birthday wishes!

Blogger Blonde said...

I guess the winner gets to not shower or shave for a week and then get to say only one line "git r done". How pathetic.

Pants gets a parade for her bday here, yet mine came and went without notice. Sheesh.

Blogger katarina said...

Mine too.

Blogger Lush said...

Here in Aussie "dodge" or "dodgy" is slang for shady. Can you imagine having a car brand called "shady?"

Blogger Ubermilf said...

Sure! Then Eminem could be their corporate spokesman.

Blogger Modigliani said...

I think the hemi dude looks WAAAAAY more stupid than that sexy chic in her bra one post down.

Blogger Tumbleweed said...

So are you trying to tell me that sex and hygiene are more important to most men than cars? I am totally meeting the wrong guys!

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer