Tuesday, October 23, 2007
The World Series that confused me
As the World Series nears, I'm reminded of the 1986 World Series, and the annoying Mets fan who sat behind home plate at Shea Stadium and did some weird motion with her hands. I guess she did it to throw off the Red Sox pitchers; or to call attention to herself on national television.

In the days before youtube, ruining sporting events was the preferred method for showy assholes to get noticed. Damn, I wish I had a picture of this crazy woman who made me forever hate the Mets, but googling annoying Mets fan who sat behind home plate at Shea Stadium during the 1986 World Series and did some weird motion with her hands yielded this result. While I'd like to think that's her all ground up into manageable pieces and placed in a handy receptacle, it's really just a bucket of huckleberries.

I'll admit I usually only watch baseball during the playoffs; I'm not a diehard fan of any team. So when the '86 series started I had to decide who I wanted to win. At first I picked the Red Sox, because they hadn't won the Series since men wore full link mink coats. But the games started and I really hated the way the Boston crowd serenaded Mets player Daryl Strawberry by chanting "Daaarrryl, Daaarrryl" with their thick chowder slurping Boston accents. It was obnoxious and reminded me that most of those people were probably Celtics fans and they won all the time, so fuck 'em! I switched my temporary allegiance to the Mets.

The next night I saw her, right behind home plate, constantly moving her hands like a basketball referee signaling a traveling violation. Whenever the Mets batted, she did this non-stop. I could not, in good conscience, support any team that had this horrible human abomination as a fan. After two innings of starring at my television set through vision made blurry by rage, I called my friend Kevin.

"Are you seeing this?" I asked.

"That fucking woman doing that shit with her hands? God, how could I miss it?" he replied.

"Well," I stated, "I'm for the Red Sox now. I have to be. So they chant 'Daaarryl', so what? He's a millionaire, he can take it."

And of course the Red Sox lost. The Mets and that terrible lady won. I hope she suffered a repetitive stress injury for her troubles.

I still don't really have a favorite team, but I like the fact that the current Red Sox club is a thorn in the side of the Yankees, and I admire a lot of their players. As for the Boston fans, I overlook the fact that most of them also support those arrogant douchebag New England Patriots. Besides, Daryl Strawberry turned out to be a giant coke fiend, so they were right to mock him.


10 Comments:

Blogger flounder said...

I am a Sox fan and I hate the Patriots and their cheatin ass coach.

Did I mention that I was a Jets fan?

Blogger Ubermilf said...

It always took place at the BEGINNING of October. Not on Halloween.

And you shut up.

Blogger dizzy von damn! said...

i don't have a chowder slurping accent!!!

i've NEVER EVEN HAD CHOWDER!

the rest is pretty accurate.

Blogger NotSoccer Mom said...

i wonder what was up with that woman. maybe she was doing sign language?

Blogger Fella said...

Ubie:

The beginning of October and Halloween both take place during The Fall.

The Superbowl used to be in January. Your point is invalid and you smell.

Blogger Ubermilf said...

I'm SAYING it's dragging along far too long.

It's even worse than talking to you.

Blogger Tits McGee said...

I am in a perpetual state of arousal because of the Sox going to the Series.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go fantasize about being the filling in a Mike Lowell/Jacoby Ellsbury sandwich.

Oh, and I hate chowder and the Patriots.

I wish I could have played baseball in the fall. Our college season started in February! I pitched many a game in the driving snow.

Blogger yournamehere said...

flounder,
sorry, but I hate the Jets. This stems from going to a San Diego Chargers game against the Jets and being surrounded by transplanted New Yorkers.

In my opinion, if you move across the country to avoid cold weather, you forfeit the right to cheer for your old team.

ubie,
I wish I had tape of that woman doing that hand thing. It was really fucking annoying.

nick,
you're too young to remember the 86 World Series, but that woman sucked and the Mets were all cranked up on coke.

ubie,
really, you'd hate the bitch.

kendra,
never had chowder? that's a god damn shame.

notsoccer,
she was deliberately trying to ruin the World Series for millions of innocent people.

nick,
I'm sure Ubie smells pleasant.

tits,
hate the Patriots, love the chowder.

vast,
oh, West Virginia in February.

stormin,
I understand. I hate the Eagles so much there's no way I could ever pull for the Phillies.

Blogger Brooklyn Blood said...

Seven years after your post - that woman now comes to every Mets spring training games here in Port St Lucie, fl

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer