Wednesday, April 30, 2008
Keep your dirty hands off my bourbon!

This is Ancient Ancient Age 10 Year Old bourbon, the best value in whiskeydom as far as price and quality. Several years ago a distiller from Buffalo Trace told me about this fine beverage and it's been a staple of my liquor cabinet ever since.

Until last week, AAA 10 Year Old was the well-kept secret of a few fanatics. Then someone wrote a piece about it in the local newspaper. Suddenly we can't keep it on the shelf.

All it took was a few paragraphs in a painfully mediocre newspaper to bring the mindless lemmings out from their cave-like dwellings to put their grubby meat-hooks all over my favorite bourbon!

On one level I'm glad more people are discovering this elixir of the gods. But there are two potential problems I'm worried about: Shortages and price increases!

Since it takes ten years to make this bourbon (hence its name) there's only so much available at any time. If too many rubes suddenly start guzzling a fifth of AAA every time their common law wife blows the neighborhood meth dealer, the distillery is going to run out and I'm going to be pissed off.

Also, while I consider a master distiller to be an artist above and beyond that Renaissance fop Leonardo da Vinci, they work for companies that want to make the filthy lucre. When the bean counters notice an increase in demand for this product they're going to raise the price. Right now a 750ml bottle goes for $13.50. By comparison, the same size bottle of Maker's Mark goes for $23.00, and AAA is as good or better. With gas soon to top the ten dollar a gallon plateau, I can't afford to spend too much on booze.


17 Comments:

We'll pound down some when you come out, along with other favorites like Basil Hayden's, Old Pogue and Woodford Reserve.

Blogger Ubermilf said...

I told you newspapers were evil.

Even when they accidentally report something accurately, they cause heartache.

Blogger Scarlet Hip said...

You should quickly hoard as much as you can, invest in the company, and then become filthy rich when the prizes are driven up by insane bourbon prospectors.

Worked for the Bush administration.

Blogger Scarlet Hip said...

prizes = prices

More coffee please.

Blogger John said...

Wow, hippy chick took a cool post about whiskey and made it political. That takes talent. I have to try this stuff if it's as good as MM for only $13.50 a pop. But then I'd only be adding to the problem. Hmm... a conundrum.

Blogger Fella said...

Isn't AAA just like Eagle's Rare or Pappy Van Winkle that didn't meet coloring standards?

I think Maker's does something like this too.

Blogger Fella said...

Also, LocalH has a song called Buffalo Trace which, you can imagine, is about drinking whiskey.

Blogger Fella said...

Here it is. It's not terrible.

Blogger dizzy von damn! said...

just for you i will continue to only drink vodka.

Blogger dguzman said...

Thank God someone's addressing the REAL issues! I'm so glad I came by today!

I'll have to give this stuff a try. Don't worry--I don't live near your liquor store.

Blogger Tumbleweed said...

I have missed you! Nice to know you're still single and all is right with the world! I'm buying a bottle of AAA this weekend...seriously! I want to be a lemming.

Blogger Scarlet Hip said...

Hippy chick...I like that. Wait, is he saying I have big hips? Dammit, I knew people could see me through the screen!

Blogger Dr. Chingasa said...

I wanna help you get your mind off the economics of AAA. There's talk of the nudie bar this Saturday. Gimme a shout.

Blogger Pacer said...

I actually really really like Ancient Age and it sort of bothers me that you're blogging about it because that's not going to help our cause.

:D

Anyways. Hello. I have lurked here for a long time but I couldn't keep silent about the AAA.

Blogger Oompa Loompa said...

finding a bargain is a wonderful thing

it helps you save money while happiness brings

then some rude upstarts discover your game

How will you ever find the same?

(this is just a crying shame)

Blogger Dan-E said...

i'm an avowed wild turkey drinker but i'm always up for trying something new. i just have to see if they have aaa down in my neck of the woods.

you're telling me this stuff beats old granddad 100 as good, cheap stuff?

That is some damn fine bourbon.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer